Will the dream become reality?

In High School, I had a yearning to get in "my" van (I had never owned one)and see the country! Fantasies of moving from town to town, diner to diner, and getting to know the people that make up the small towns across the USA. But, as often happens, life - real life - expected life - the life you are suppose to live - life happened.

I married right out of High School, had two children, and bought a townhouse, and then our first home before I turned 21. Our neighbors purchased a used conversion van with the black fur walls, tiny sink and fold down bed. All those yearnings flooded back... But I was in the midst of life. And a divorce. No time, or money, for traveling across the forgotten roads of America.

Then I remarried, added a child, relocated, added a child, relocated, added a child - Are you beginning to see a pattern? Then we relocated one more time to open our own business in Upper Michigan. But this time, no more children were added. Unless, of course, you count the friends of our youngest who seemed to "join" our family on a regular basis. But still no van and no cross country road trip.

My husband had known that this has always been my dream. In fact, I have often commented that my next home will have four wheels. And wouldn't you know, now this seems to be something a lot of people find appealing. Full-time RVers and tiny house dwellers that move from location to location. I had this yearning, this dream, 50 years ago! I guess I was ahead of my time, except for the hippie movement who had really great van ideas! And now, of course, I am behind, sort of...

I have done much research and narrowed down my "perfect" van. I wanted a Dodge or Mercedes Sprinter Conversion Van. We actually located one not too far from us and went to take a look. While I thought it was perfect, my honey was not on the same page. Given the price, the quandary of where to store it in our arctic winter climate, and, of course, the fact he thought it too small, we passed. Later the following year, we found a GMC Savana Conversion Van.
It doesn't have all the goodies, but it does have a bed, it is spacious, the price was right, and it wasn't winter, so we purchased it. More of a "we finally have a van, so maybe one day we will travel" than anything concrete about making that long-term road trip a reality. But it was a start.

The other thing that has changed is what I am actually seeking. Earlier I mentioned the towns and the diners but my drive is deeper now. The focus is still on the people, where they come from, why they stay, and a dozen other questions, but I am also seeking Hallmarkville...Yes, those towns in all the movies where everyone knows each other, everyone is kind, and everyone is welcoming to strangers. If you live in such a town, please post and we can add you to our list when we finally start hitting the road!

But for our first journey, date TBD - but soon, just waiting on the snow melt now, we will be heading from Western Upper Michigan (Silver City) to Avondale, Arizona to visit my husband's 91 year old father who recently relocated to that area. No route planned...yet. So, now is the time to let us know if there is somewhere we MUST visit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY 2 On the Road

DAY 21... Re-Routing...

Tips, Tricks and Tales...